Pages

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Everything Happens for a Reason...

I don't mean for this blog to be too, too religion-centered, but this just fits so well with what I wanted to say, anyway; I couldn't resist. It seems that no matter what you believe, there is a lesson to take away from what our congregation heard in church this morning.

Our pastor talked today about asking God the right questions. "Don't ask 'why,'" she advised, "but 'what now?'" She meant that we should not question God's intentions when He does something unexpected, difficult, or seemingly inexplicable. We should instead wonder what His plan is for us. Rather than asking "why" and implying blame or disappointment, we should ask what God wants us to do next and show trust in God with the new set of circumstances. In other words:
This message was really well timed for me. I'm processing some very unexpected and sudden news these days.

In short, the family that was supposed to host me first is suddenly going through a difficult time and I've switched first host families. Since I'm not in Korea yet, this could not be less disruptive, but it has shaken me a bit, nonetheless. I was admittedly a bit attached to my first host mom (who is still my 엄마!) and with whom I exchanged more than a few emails. We were excited to meet. More than anything I feel so badly for the family that they had to make the decision that they did. However, everything happens for a reason, right? There's no way of knowing yet what God's idea is. I'll find out soon enough.

The new host family seems very kind - they would have to be if they are willing to host an exchange student a week later! I really cannot wait to meet them. I'll have one host brother, who is about a year older than me and I'll live in the same general area of Busan as I would have with the other family. With less than a week until departure, it's all beginning to feel slightly more real.

Also, 감사합니다 (kahm-sa-hahm-ni-da...Thank you!) to everyone who has been so generous in time, words, and gifts as I get ready to go. Your thoughts mean a lot !!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Grace ~ I don't think we've ever met, but I've known your mom for a long time (just ran into her and Max in Wegmans, which is how I got your blog info), and I live next to the McCash's, so I sort of feel like I know you. I just wanted to wish you the best of luck this year, and I look forward to following your blog. You are a wonderful writer! Also, the sermon you mentioned in this blog has stayed with me, as well. It is such a comforting message.......trust, love and move forward. Take care ~ Jody Whippe

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! It's so important to remember that when unexpected things come along!

    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." -Jeremiah 29:11

    "In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."-Proverbs 16:9

    Just some encouraging verses for you! Wishing you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete