Hello, everybody :)
I'm in Busan! My flight out of Incheon ended up being delayed 25 minutes, but other than that, everything went perfectly for travel.
We got to my host family's apartment around 10:20 (Korea time) last night. I unpacked my things and we ate Korean bread (빵) and iced tea together. My room is very lovely. I've never had so much glorious shelf space in all my life! And the wallpaper is a little bit sparkly! And the window has a fabulous view of the city and mountain! And...it's just so good ^^
My host family is wonderful. We don't always understand each other's words, but the resulting 'Konglish' (Korean + English) can be fun. They seem be be very interested in learning bits and pieces of English and I've already learned a few new Korean words (선반 = shelf!).
The weather here is noteworthy, too. It's really hot. And really humid. And really cloudy. The fan that my family provided has saved me. Korea has a myth about 'fan death' that suggests that sleeping with a fan on can be deadly. I'm pretty sure it's considered an old wive's tale and is ignored (maybe not?). At least I ignored it...and survived the night very comfortably.
So, now I'm just relaxing. My host father (아빠) is at work and my brother (오빠) is at academy. My host mom (엄마) went out for a bit. Something about meeting her friend every 6 months and housework. Yep, I'm lost, too (Edit: the housekeeper just came. That must be what she meant). Anyway, 엄마 (mom) will come back and I think we'll go out. Hopefully my comprehension skills will improve before I have to understand something truly important.
 |
Hi Grace,
ReplyDeleteCloudy indeed. Here's the infrared satellite image from August 12. Glad you arrived safely.
https://www.e-education.psu.edu/worldofweather/files/worldofweather/2012_8_12_0_MTSAT2_5_S2_gridpng.png
Cheers,
Lee
First of all, I'm glad you survived the night with your fan on. :) Secondly, I'm glad you've arrived and are settling down! I was shocked by your bed! It's so cool to see the cultural differences between the US and Korea!
ReplyDelete